“Do or do not. There is no try.” –Yoda
I could not complete the #YourTurnChallenge without at least one Star-Wars related post. If you think Star Wars metaphors, puns and analogies are redundant; maybe you should go freeze yourself in carbonite.
I’ve enjoyed seeing how many writers, artists and other creatives have “shipped” during this challenge. We really are part of a collective Force aren’t we? Rebels!
Speaking of The Force…like Luke Skywalker we creatives may face indecision. Can we really yield this mysterious creative power? We are but simple artists from Tatooine—I mean Arizona.
What if we start along the wrong path and the darkside forever dominates our destiny? The darkside, my fellow Jedis, is simply the voice within that tells you YOU can’t do it. That voice is as ridiculous as the Star Wars prequels. YOU can do it…but timing is everything– to this you must listen!
When to use the Force:
- Family and friends continuously encourage you to keep on keepin’ on. Continuously is the key word. They have a certain obligation to tell us we’re good.
- Family and friends are naysayers—just think if Luke would have listened to Uncle Owen’s poo pooing of Obi Wan!
- Complete strangers tell us they like our craft—especially if they ask for more.
- You wake up at 2a.m. with a perfect sentence, image or idea in your head—or Obi Wan comes to you in a vision.
- Any inspirations that occur in the shower (I believe another #YourTurnChallenge individual wrote about this very thing).
- You receive a rejection—how many times did Yoda tell Luke: “not ready are you.”
- You’re afraid you’ll produce poo—face fear like a giant Rancor and smash it. Then go read Priscilla Tallman’s post on poo.
When not to use the Force:
- You’re sick. Stop having delusions of grandeur and go back to bed.
- You’re trying to force something to happen.
- You’re modeling your craft to impress someone—okay Han Solo. Lay off the swagger and just be yourself; be natural.
- You’re trying to trump another creative, or being downright devious—where did that get Lando Calrissian?
Remember creative, you don’t need to face a Vader to be a Jedi. The force is in you. Trust what’s inside you, but beware of the darkside. The only one to prevent you from using the force is YOU. Pass on what you have learned.
May the Force be with you.
Posted by admin | 0 comments